Yarn: Nashua superwash creative focus or comparable yarn to match gauge
Needles: 6 US, 4 double point needles
Gauge: 6.5 sts/inch
Sizes: womens 8 (9)
Using long tail cast on, cast on very loosely 36 (40).
– Distribute sts as follows
Needle 1 (N1)- 9 (10), Needle 2 (N2) – 9 (10), Needle 3 (N3) – 18 (20)
– Join in the round being very careful not to twist.
– Start 2×2 rib for leg: k2, p2 around
– Work leg for 3.5 (3) inches
– Heel flap: working back and forth only on N3
Turn work, sl 1 st, purl across
Turn work, sl 1 st, knit across
Continue working those 2 rows until flap measures 2 2/3 inches long. End with a knit row.
– Turning the heel:
Turn work, sl 1 st, p9 (10), p2tog, p1, turn
Sl 1 st, k3 (4), ssk, k1, turn
*Sl 1 st, p to 1 st before gap, p2tog to close gap, p1, turn
Sl 1 st, k to 1 st before gap, ssk to close gap, k1, turn*
Repeat from * to * until all heel flap sts have been worked. End
with a knit row.
– Gusset: move half heel sts to new needle (N1).
PU 15 sts down side with N1 (already has 1/2 heel flap sts).
N2- Knit across instep sts.
Using 4th needle, PU 14sts along heel flap side. Transfer to N3 (already has 1/2 heel flap sts).
Next round start gussett decreases.
Start of round (row) is now center of heel.
Next round: N1- k18, k2tog N2- Knit N3- knit
*Next round: N1- k to 3 sts from end, k2tog, k1 N2- knit N3- k1, ssk, knit to end
*Next round: Knit all sts
– Repeat last 2 * rounds until you have decreased away all gussett stitches and have your original number of sts, 36 (40)
– Continue in stockinette st until foot measures 7 (7.5) inches from back of heel.
– Start toe decreasing:
*Next round: N1- k to 3 sts from end, k2tog, k1
N2- k1, ssk, k to 3 sts from end, k2tog, k1
N3- k1, ssk, k to end
*Next round: knit all sts
-Repeat last 2* rounds until 16 (20) sts remain.
knit N1 sts onto N3
– Now you have 8 (10) sts on N2 and 8 (10) sts on N3.
Graft together with kitchener stitch.
Weave in ends.
Knit second sock.